We believe that...
- Most APD officers and staff are honorable professionals who were attracted to careers in law enforcement out of a desire to serve the public good.
- The broken system within APD has failed these good men and women as well as the general public.
- Albuquerque residents are justifiably angry that the political process has failed to bring about long overdue reforms to our police department.
- To restore trust in APD, the City of Albuquerque, the police department, and impacted communities must develop a constructive partnership focused on bringing full accountability to APD.
The way forward...
The problems facing the APD are daunting, but they can be fixed. The APD Forward campaign is dedicated to achieving the following goals:
- Achieve a court enforced agreement between the Department of Justice and the Albuquerque Police Department that ensures that the reforms we need are fully implemented.
- Obtain the appointment of a qualified, independent monitoring team to oversee compliance with the court-ordered agreement.
- Ensure that the City of Albuquerque dedicates adequate resources to fully fund the necessary reforms.
- Obtain sustained evidence that the City of Albuquerque and APD is complying with the reform agreement and taking real, concrete steps to address the problems uncovered by the Department of Justice investigation.